Saturday, December 8, 2012

Quiet Day

Quiet Day for St. Michael*s, Barrington this morning.  A wonderful opportunity.  I enjoyed it, except for the cough, which seemed to have a life of its own.  Bother.  Thankfully it did not claim the time I had to speak, just the quiet time in between.  I*m sure there*s something to be learned here... there always is.


The cough behaved itself
While I was speaking.
It could not stand
The hour of silence
In between
The talks.
Usually I am fine
With long stretches
Of quiet.
Today the cough
Had other ideas.
Now that I am quiet
At home
There is no problem.
The cough
Has a voice of its own.
I remember this
From innumerable
Sundays past.
Now that I am off
Sunday morning duty,
I realize
I*d forgotten.
Now I remember:
The cough
Has a voice of its own.

No comments:

Post a Comment