Monday, January 21, 2013

Potential cardinal

This morning brings a day off, and new things to pay attention to.  I consider the range of things I might write about.  So much of the morning writing ritual now asks:  Is this my struggle?  Is this mine to write about?  Now the male cardinal is back in place.  It seems he is mine to consider.  His comings and goings.  I think I see the paler female on a branch up and to the right.  She is nowhere near as flashy.  Of course not, I think.


The family sleeps
Except for me.
The splotch of red
In the back bush branches
Must have been a cardinal.
He was so still,
I considered he might be
A piece of red ribbon
Blown there after Christmas.
When I returned
With the cup of coffee
Warm in my hands,
The branches spare and brown,
Showed no potential cardinal.

But
now
He*s back
He*s back
And behind him,
The ducks march in the sun,
The squirrels play their endless game
Of chase
On the lawn.
While I was distracted
The cardinal flew
Again
Or maybe
He was really
A piece of red ribbon
From a Christmas package
After all.

No comments:

Post a Comment