Thursday, February 28, 2013

Trading off


When I can sit by myself in early morning, there is something about a cup of warm coffee in my hands, and the vista out back, which invites contemplation.  

We trade off
Taking the young woman
Early
To school.
If I am awake enough
On my mornings,
When I return
I sit with coffee
Warm in my hands,
Watch the day lighten.
I think through
What must be done.
I consider
What really
Isn*t necessary.
The snow palette lies before me:
Shades of white.
The branches on the bushes
Next to the garage
Hold clumps
Of white wet snow
So many cotton bolls.
I consider the silence,
Watch the day grow lighter.
I think through
What must be done,
What might be done
Come spring.          
My hands,
Warm on the coffee cup,
Consider what may be dropped
When the earth goes green
Again.

No comments:

Post a Comment