Friday, March 29, 2013

Good Friday


This is not the first time my birthday has fallen during Holy Week or Easter.  It is the fate of all of us with late March or early April birthdays.  My office is at the church.  The nave is overhead.  Last night I heard the altar stripping from below, in the company of my client.  Tonight I have been told of the pouring out of wine after the Good Friday service, under the full moon.  This night will not be like other nights.

Today is Good Friday.
Today is my birthday.
Today is absolutely blue and gorgeous.
I slept in late.
Last night
After the Agape meal,
I met with a client
During the footwashing,
Eucharist,
Altar stripping.
I missed the leaving in silence.
On the way out of the building
I waved to Jesus
In the Garden of Gethsemane
Set up in the chapel.
Tonight I am told
After the service
The women of the altar guild
Pour the remaining wine
On the ground
In the outside columbarium
Under the full moon.
I do not know
If the women dance,
Good Friday quiet of course.
I wonder if they dance.

No comments:

Post a Comment