Monday, March 18, 2013

Prelude to the day


I drove my daughter to school early this morning.  Instead of crawling back into bed, I am sitting and contemplating the day.  It is a clinic day today.  I have a new client.  Much is planned.  I consider how I will fly today.

When much is planned
I dig up more unplanned time
To mulch around it.
I hold the early morning,
A cup of coffee
Warm in my hands.
Light snow
Now heavier
Signals more time
For travel.
I missed the sandhills return
This year
But the Canada geese,
The ones who left in autumn
Now return In perfect vees.
They show the ones left behind
What it means
To fly as God*s intent.
Not the ragged practice vees
They muster
All winter.
When much is planned
There must be
Unplanned time
To hold a warm cup of coffee,
Consider the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment