Thursday, April 11, 2013

Disappointment for breakfast


This morning I am skipping the Thursday work-out and sitting with disappointment for breakfast.  She may have a thing or two to teach me.  What exactly, I have no idea.  That*s why I need to pay attention.

I vowed to make friends
With Disappointment,
Pour her a cup of coffee
At the breakfast table,
Exchange sections of the morning paper,
Sit and make morning chit-chat,
Watch the back lawn
Grow greener.
Her face looks like a prune.
She needs more than a laugh
Or two.
I wonder
Which comic strip
Appeals to her sense of humor?
Does she even have
A sense of humor?
Is it dark or silly?
Does she see the oddness
In my asking?
Which cereal would she like
Topped with strawberries?
One or two servings of fruit
Is a good way
To start the day.
Even for someone
Named Disappointment.
Does her name
Cause her distress?
What were her parents thinking?
Whatever were they thinking?
She sits across from me
In her mismatched PJs
Uncombed hair.
Let me warm up your cup of coffee
I say.
Let me give you a warmer.

No comments:

Post a Comment