Monday, April 1, 2013

Easter Monday


This is the memory Easter Monday will always bring with it.  23 years ago I was a single mom of a three year old.  The church I was serving as priest had a large cross with Christ the King.  It was always veiled during Holy Week.  I do not remember if my son was with me for Easter Sunday that year, but I do remember taking him to church on Easter Monday to show him Jesus was back.  I also remember the trip to the zoo.  And the ducks on the Red Cedar River.


On the day after
Jesus was sprung
From the tomb,
I used to take my young son
To the local zoo.
A river flowed through it.
Ducks stood on the edges,
Floated in place.
On the day
After Jesus
Was sprung
(Or sprang)
From the tomb,
We would take a field trip
To find new life.
The zoo and the river
Were sure bets.
The boy had stared
At the veiled Holy Week cross,
Declared
God all gone.
The boy saw the risen body returned
On Easter Sunday.
On the day after,
Just to be sure,
We took a field trip
To the zoo.
A river flowed through it.

No comments:

Post a Comment