Sunday, April 7, 2013

Graduation


Finally.  Finally.  I have graduated to the pew.  It took a full six years... but here I am.  Finally.  I do not need to do a thing to justify my pew-sitting.  No excuses necessary or called for.  Amazing, really.  Stunning.

I have graduated
To the pew.
It took me long enough.
Today at coffee hour
I straight-pinned green paper wads
As leaves
To brown styrofoam trees
For summer Vacation Bible School.
My beloved and I
Sat in the library
During the third service,
Waved to the people
Who slipped through the side door
Late.
We noted the man who filched the cream
From the kitcheonette refrigerator;
Perused the Sunday paper.
I have graduated to the pew,
The library,
To the edges
Of coffee hour.
I am no longer incognito clergy.
I am a regular.
I have graduated
Fully
Simply
To the pew.

No comments:

Post a Comment