Saturday, April 13, 2013

Morning conversation with Humility and Perspicacity


I am still not sure how to pronounce perspicacity.  She was a surprise breakfast guest this morning.  Humility has a regular chair at the table these days.

I sit with Humility and Perspicacity
This morning.
Humility drinks herbal tea.
Perspicacity likes coffee black.
Me?
Black coffee with a generous dollop
Of cream.
Humility and Perspicacity both
Are dressed for breakfast
And beyond.
Me?
I made it out of bed
Accomplishment in itself.
I sit in pajamas,
Notice the lawn care people
Already at work
In the neighborhood.
I consider rejuvenating
My high school knowledge of Spanish.
Humility suggests I consider
The room upstairs,
The room that will host
Our exchange student
Next Saturday.
Perspicacity  offers the possibility
Of one step at a time.
She attends AA meetings,
Likes to consider
The next right thing.
I wonder
Do these women always
Live into their names?
When Perspicacity appeared
I had to look up the meaning of her name.
Humility was an easy one.
She shows up regularly.
The next right thing is breakfast.
Humility eats oatmeal.
With Perspicacity
It depends on the day.
Me?
I eat a bowl of Honey Bunches of Oats
With Almonds,
Pour myself another cup of coffee
With a dollop of cream.
More hot water, another tea bag
For Humility;
For Perspicacity
A warmer of black coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment