Saturday, April 20, 2013

Sans microwave


No matter how much we prepare for a guest*s arrival, no matter how much we prepare for everything to be perfect, unplanned things happen.  Actually I am grateful it*s just the microwave so far.  I well remember counseling couples before they got married.  The things that go wrong, I used to say, are where memories are made.  I used to be so wise.  Of course some things are more funny, more memorable, in retrospect.

And now
Every surface has been cleared
And cleaned;
The cat box emptied,
Filled with new litter;
The room is ready
For occupancy.
The car is cleared
For luggage from the airport.
The snow has melted.
The sun shines.
But now
The microwave is dead,
I tell you,
Dead.
Under warranty, yes,
But still
Dead.
The cat sleeps anyway.
I plan dinner for our guest
From Paris.
We will live sans microwave.
People did it for years.
The snow has melted.
The sun shines.
Our guest will arrive
Microwave
Or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment