Monday, April 15, 2013

Three things at once


When I am awakened suddenly, before the requisite dream state, I roll out of bed and do one thing at a time.  I have finished the oatmeal.  As I sip coffee, I realize I have not had a Starbucks latte since before Lent. I will post this next, the coffee warm in my hands before I consider the plan for the day, a Monday which will line out on the page, line out in the office, client by client by client.

In early morning
I never know what
Lines out on the page.
The next thing appears
As if by miracle.
Ideas come one by one
By one.
It may be a function
Of waking up
Suddenly
To drive the daughter
To school.
I do not plan the day
As much as move
From one thing
To the next.
I find Starbucks
On the way home.
I think
Oatmeal
Might be good.
I determine not
To return to bed
But instead
To write
Eat my oatmeal
Drink the non-fat latte
Another thought that arrived
After the oatmeal.
I determine to do
Three things at once
A miracle in itself,
Three things at once,
So early in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment