Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Volunteer


Today I begin to coordinate a support group for staff at the Clinic where I volunteer.  When I volunteered to do this, the group was thought to address one issue.  Last week one of the two clinic sites completely flooded, destroying all the records.  That site will not re-open, and all the staff and patients have been consolidated to one location.  Yesterday was the first day with everyone together.  When people gather this afternoon, we will see what is needed.


Amazing are the things
Which need
A volunteer.
I count hours as a counselor
Volunteer
For free supervision.
Still it seems
Nothing ever really
Comes free.
Unknown strings,
Untied shoelaces
Trip me up,
No matter how much
Volunteer paperwork
I turn in.
There are always more I-s to be dotted,
T-s to be crossed.
The last jot and tittle
Won*t be discovered
Until after everything we know
Has been said and done.
Still amazing
Those things which require
A volunteer,
No tit for tat
Nothing ventured
Nothing gained
Nothing ever quite
What it seems.
There is more than enough
Volunteer work,
Free supervision
Or not.
There is always more than enough.
Every single bit counts.
We will know where it figures into the big picture
When all is said and done,
When the very last piece
Is set in place.

No comments:

Post a Comment