Thursday, May 2, 2013

Orange Moose


Seeing the orange moose in Black River Falls lets me know I*m half-way to Minnesota, or half-way home to the western suburbs of Chicago.  No matter the weather or the road construction, or anything else.  It seems good to have such markers.


I have yet to figure
How all this works.
Chicago to Minnesota netted
At least four season changes today.
I am now in St. Paul.
The weather here is exactly
What I left behind.
Maybe Wisconsin
Has its own gauge.
Still
The three states share the same
Road construction season.
Despite the snow
Road construction is well underway
Everywhere:
Single lanes with semi-tractor trailor trucks
Squeezing for space,
One slow-moving oversize load
Which I re-found and passed
After every rest stop.
The orange moose still marks midway
At Black River Falls.
There are some constants.
I don*t know what I would do
Without that orange moose.

No comments:

Post a Comment