Friday, August 16, 2013

Proud

The word proud is an odd one.  We take pride in things we have had a hand in, a project coming to fruition, accomplishments like graduating from school, landing the perfect job, oh yes... and children.  Still... as soon as children are born, we have a hand in teaching them how to grow up, and make decisions, and find the world around them.  Still, my children have taught me how to be a better human being from the moment they came into the world.  I am proud of them for that.  I am prouder and prouder every moment.  Of course I am proud.  But admiration seems the next step after pride.  Maybe I will write about admiration tomorrow or the next day.

You must be proud,
They say,
Of your children.
They seem to know
They are part
Of a wider fuller world.
I am
Proud.
I could not be
Prouder.
The more I say the word
Proud
However
It takes on that narcissistic glow
As if I or my beloved
Were chief agents
Of this event.
Maybe it*s the Minnesota
In me.
Still
I am proud
Of the human beings
They are,
Of the fascinating beings
I have been able to watch
Grow:
From that knowing look
In their eyes
At birth,
To now,
To Infinity
And Beyond.

No comments:

Post a Comment