Sunday, December 15, 2013

Straw into gold

As counting goes, this is almost seven whole days of brain clarity, even with a head cold.  Seven whole days, not one in seven, I will praise thee.  Deep abiding thanks for George Herbert and his poetry.   And for the hymn his poetry inspired (King of Glory, King of Peace).

My first years of ordained life were in campus ministry.  I learned what it is to create things like altar frontals from Pier One placemats.  I still do such things even though now it's not about altar frontals.  Now it is making cardboard stuffed material signs for my office door window under the altar.  Creativity comes in many forms.  Mine is not to spin straw into gold.

Thirty years out
I watch friends spin off
Into other sections
Of the known
And unknown
Universe.
I envy their spin.
I remain here and watch.
Mine is not to spin,
Not even straw into gold.
I make altar frontals
From Pier One placemats.
I always have.
I watch the person who weeps
In the back of the church,
See the person who leaves
Before the closing prayer.
My friends spin off.
I watch them go with love
And Godspeed.
And yes
Even some envy.
Some may spin straw
Into gold.
I will stay,
Stitch together Pier One placemats
Into paraments.

No comments:

Post a Comment