Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Ours is a lit world

Warmer today, 4F.  It may rise to 12F.  The children are back in school.  My daughter's friend is still stuck in Aruba.  I fly out to a conference in Orlando on Sunday.  The sun is still a pale winter sun.  I give thanks for light... even pale winter light.  Sometimes, like today, I feel like I am writing a lived, daily, Farmer's Almanac.

The pale sun returns. 
Of course it remains
Winter sun,
Not good for sunning,
But perhaps good
For remembering ours
Is a lit world
Even in winter.
The ducks across the way
Eat their corn
With abandon.
This is what they do
To honor the lady
Still dressed
In red,
Now sometimes blue
As well.
This is what they do to live
In pale winter light
And snow,
Because ours
Is a lit world
Even in winter
Even  in cold.
Today I am grateful
For even
Pale sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment