Monday, June 9, 2014

Humility of ear

I never know what will land in my inbox.

"The Christian church came into being at Pentecost. The gift of the Holy Spirit on that occasion is generally called the gift of tongues, but it might equally as well be called the gift of ears…. As writers, readers, human beings, we cannot speak to or understand each other unless we are first prepared to listen. Of all the gifts that the Holy Spirit is able to bestow, the one for which we should first and most earnestly pray is humility of ear."
                                          -W. H. Auden
                                          Source: Words and the Word

On this
The day after the feast
Of Pentecost
Auden lands
In my inbox,
Reminds me
There are so many gifts
Of the Spirit
And I
I sit in my blue chair
Organize the week  
In humility of ear,
Not knowing if anything
I say or pray
Will come out
In any particular way.
And I
I sit in my blue chair
And wait
For what comes next.

No comments:

Post a Comment