Saturday, October 11, 2014

Everything begins somewhere

This is for all my Minnesota compatriots.  You all know where the Mississippi really begins.

Everything begins somewhere.
I like to trace things back
To their source.
I stood at the headwaters
To the Mississippi
Pretended I was there,
At the beginning,
Even though the water
Originally came
Up from the earth
Down from the sky.
It is still complete mystery
Where it all began.
The Mississippi is my Minnesota metaphor:
The headwaters at Lake Itasca,
The dividing line between
Minneapolis and St. Paul.
I lift my feet
So they don’t get wet
Every time we drive over the bridge.
The Mississippi is my Minnesota metaphor.
Louisiana has its own interpretation,
As do
All the states between.
Everything begins somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment