Monday, November 17, 2014

Compromise

My beloved, the political scientist, sees compromise as a good thing.  He teaches students the importance of compromise, to see that all good political decisions involve some level of compromise. So often we see compromise as something we need to settle for.  I did not choose this, we say.  This is unfair, we say.  My beloved, the political scientist, offers the idea that compromise just might be a good thing.

Again I think
I am compromised.
To move
Just slowly enough,
More and more
To stand on the edges,
To watch the cat
Sleep in the sun.
Again I remember
Not to rush
And
In my half-full brain
Perhaps
Not to think of this
As compromise;
Not to think of this
As my lot in life;
Not to think of this
As forced retirement;
But instead to see
The possible gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment