Friday, January 9, 2015

How do you pray?

It was my turn to lead prayer group this week, so I asked the question I'd like to ask every person of faith I encounter:  How do you pray?  The answers came back even more varied than the group assembled.  The answers still echo.

The simple question
How do you pray?
Brought so many answers
In a small group
Even more answers, it seems,
Than the number of people present.
I hear the echoes even now:
Prayers knit with yarn;
Prayers held
While distractions are carefully noted,
Placed in a boat,
Sent away down the river;
Prayers numbered like the psalms.
Oh so many prayers
Oh so many ways to pray
The answers echo even now
They multiply
Some prayers even
Without words.
My finger runs the rim
Of my favorite mug.
It is momentarily
A singing bowl.

No comments:

Post a Comment