Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Hardcover books

This is inspired by Kelly Flanagan's latest post http://drkellyflanagan.com/2016/03/16/this-could-be-the-difference-between-a-life-of-suffering-or-joy/ Thank you, Kelly!

I admit...I have never read an E-book. I do write my daily reflections on a computer. But reading? Reading is a visual and tactile experience.

Cases in point: Terry Tempest Williams, When Women Were Birds. Spend the extra money and get the hardcover version. The flying birds are not in the paperback. 

Or try the hardcover version of George Saunders, The Very Persistent Gappers of Frip. Years ago I bought out the remaindered hardcovers at the local B&N, gave them to everyone at Christmas. A couple people appreciated it :)


If we wait long enough
For the paperback
To be published,
They may well be cheaper.
They are most always
More satisfying.
Even the paper.
My beloved
Waxes eloquent
About the paper,
The texture of the print.
He touches everything.
It’s the way he is wired.
In early years
He was a printer.
I have a book on my shelf
A bird flies through the pages
Like the flipbooks
We made as children.
The first pages
Are blank
Then the birds
Begin their flight.

No comments:

Post a Comment