Tuesday, February 28, 2017

I'm so sorry

Amazing. It was really seventeen years ago that that happened. It was not the first or the last time. I was one of the first women ordained in the Episcopal Church. I do remember the particulars of her husband's death. It was particularly awful, for her, for the church. It was not the first such occasion for me. It was the first apology I have received. For that I am grateful.

We have moved
Into the world
Of funerals.
Two today.
I’m so sorry
For your loss.
We said.
Somehow
The wedding helped
On Saturday.
A woman sat across a table
From me.
Seventeen years ago
She told me
I could not preside
At her husband’s funeral.
He did not believe
Women could be ordained.
I’m so sorry
She said.
I’m so sorry
For doing that.I’m so sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment