Monday, November 6, 2017

If only we had known

Ah, the if onlys. I grew up with a card-carrying member of the NRA. My brother, sister, and I were all taught how a gun works. My siblings learned to target shoot on the property in the north woods. I took a gun safety class taught by my father, mostly with boys who wanted their hunting licenses. My sister, because she knew where the safety was, took a gun away from a college classmate. 

Where does it begin?
Often we go backwards
Forwards
Sideways.
If only
We allowed guns
Everywhere.
If only
We didn’t allow guns
Anywhere.
If only
Camouflage
And black were not
Allowed
As proper attire.
If only mentally ill people
Were not allowed
On the streets.
If only
Dishonorably discharged vets
Were allowed
Mental health care.
If only
If only
If only
Backwards
Forwards
Sideways
If only
We had known.

No comments:

Post a Comment