Saturday, April 2, 2016

Rhubarb people

No one is interested in heirloom rhubarb, if there is such a thing. Rhubarb is itself: Rhubarb. Those who like it: do. Those who don't: don't. It's a little like brussels sprouts... another thing the heirloom market has not caught on to. Good thing, I say.

I used to receive
Catalogs in the mail,
Now it is emails:
Heirloom seeds to grow:
Heirloom tomatoes
Miniature cucumbers
No one on my block
Has ever grown.
I have not planted a garden
In three years.
I leave it to the perennials
To show themselves
Or not;
The volunteer bee balm
That arrived
Last year.
The rhubarb comes up
Every year
Demands to be harvested,
Given away
To rhubarb people.
Rhubarb people
Are not easy to determine
They are the ones
Hidden under the rhubarb leaves.
When I harvest
There they are
Waiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment