Tuesday, January 24, 2012

So many ways to measure time

Some days it is easier to be hopeful, some days:  despairing.  Both are reality.  We are in the middle of Epiphany. We are halfway to Lent.  A young person we know faces a bone marrow transplant.  A widow we know grieves.  Depression hits others. The children still sing outside my door.  The sun has almost melted the snow.

So teach us to number our days, that we may apply our hearts to wisdom. Psalm 90:12, BCP 1979

There are so many ways
To measure time.
The snow has almost melted
Again.
The grass shows green underneath.
It is almost the end of January,
The middle of Epiphany,
Halfway to Lent.
There are so many ways
To measure time,
So many ways to construct
Our days.
Today I hold the sunlight
It melts the snow.
Today I hear the children
They laugh and thud outside my door.
Today I consign so many
To God*s gaze,
Doctor*s care.
I contemplate those I love:
They fight or embrace
Depression,
Bone marrow transplants,
Grief.
So many ways to measure time.
So many ways to see our days.
Today I hold the sunshine
It melts the snow.
I hear the children.

No comments:

Post a Comment