Sunday, February 12, 2012

What counts as going to church?

I spent time with church people at church today, but I did not attend worship.  I know the rules.  I grew up in the Church.  If you skidded into the pew just before the Gospel, you*d made it in time.  This morning I went to two adult forums on politics and faith, taught by my husband.  I went to the annual meeting, voted, and balanced everything on my lap.  Did I go to church?  I read the lessons in the bulletin, and ate a meal with the congregation.  We balanced and ate our food, together.  We stood in line to fill our plates.  Did we go to church?  Did we all go to church?

I went to church today
But not
To Church.
I did not sit in the pew.
I bought tickets
For the fundraiser.
I found people who hang
Around the edges.
Some never sit in the pew
At all.
Well, hardly ever.
Any Sunday.
I drank too much coffee,
Listened to
The financial report,
Balanced food and annual report,
A bottle of water,
On my lap.
I did not go
To Church
But I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment