Thursday, October 20, 2011

More lessons

What a blessing to be at the halfway house, to be learning from the staff and the clients there.  My vision is still wonky.  I still have epilepsy, though I hope the increased seizure meds mean that I won*t have another seizure.  I have a lot to learn, as well as a lot to give.  Part of what I continue to learn is the receiving piece, something I could ignore when I was reasonably self-sufficient.  Again, I am blessed to be at the halfway house.  Perhaps all of us are only halfway there.

I continue to learn
To receive.
It*s not so easy
With genetic arrogance
Which says
I can do it all
Myself.
I can*t.
Of course I can*t.
I was never in control
Anyway.
Now I have to ask for help
Or spend a lot of time
In squint.
Now I wait for the trainer
To lead me to the next place.
I could travel on the train to Union Station
And back out
To Glen Ellyn,
Hours on public transit to go
A short distance.
Or I could ask for help.
I was never in control,
Anyway.
I watch the guys in the halfway house,
Caught by human foible,
I watch them
Learn to ask for feedback.
I think
They are not in control.
Just like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment