Friday, June 1, 2012

Adolescence

Today seems to remind me that I am never fully grown, even as I have the fantasy that some morning I will wake up... and it will have happened overnight.

Adolescent birds are everywhere today.
The fledgling robin learns about worms
On the front lawn.
My daughter passed a mother goose
With two gawky almost full grown
Teenage geese.
They were learning
To eat grass.
The mother hissed as my daughter rode past
On her bike.
Today the piercing shop was not open
At 10,
Like it said it would be.
My daughter,
Her friend
And I
Stared at the pictures
Of possible piercing opportunities.
We will return to the store at 3
After I have made yet one more change
To my fifty-seven year old
Itinerary.
I am still on the learning curve
Of worms and grass,
Even piercings.
Alternately I hiss and let go.
I am a parent
I am parented.
I am gangly and solid
All at once.
I still like to imagine
Some day
I will be all grown up.

No comments:

Post a Comment