Sunday, June 3, 2012

Opting in

OK.  I am naturally an introvert.  I have to make active choices to attend things like church picnics.  I enjoy them once I get there with my bowl of fruit.  And I actually love informal worship services, of course... once I get there.

I have a natural leaning
To couch potato.
When something changes
I am infinitely creative
At solutions
To opt out.
Today is the church picnic
At a different location,
A different time.
I signed up to bring fruit
Two weeks ago.
If I sign up for something,
If I don*t take my name
Off the list,
I am likely to show up
With my bowl of fruit
So I don*t let anyone down.
Once there
I will find no couches.
I*m sure someone signed up
To bring
Potato chips.
Now I wait for the rest of the family
To crawl out of bed.
The picnic basket and I
Are awake.
The bowl of strawberries waits
Beside the front door.

No comments:

Post a Comment