Saturday, June 9, 2012

Insurance

I often remember Saturday morning dreams.  This morning, as I went in and out of sleep (it is a luxury to be able to sleep in a bit) I had this dream.  I*m sure it has something to do with my work at DuPage Community Clinic and my own waiting to give birth to a new profession (and of course figuring out how and through what door to show my insurance card).  Right now I am thinking about do-overs, a concept which came more naturally when I was a kid.  Ah, Saturday mornings.  Priceless.

Last night I dreamed I was in labor.
As I waited to deliver,
I lay on a gurney in the hospital lobby.
People came and went.
When my husband finally got there
We agreed I was in the lobby
Because
 I had forgotten to show
My insurance card
And
I had come in the wrong door.

We agreed we would name the baby
Thomas:
His mother*s maiden name,
The first name
Of my great-grandfather.
He wrote Minnesota bird books.

Then
We decided to go out,
Come in again by the right door
As if we were arriving
For the first time.
We decided we would
Show our insurance card
At the door.

No comments:

Post a Comment