Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Animal

I remember any number of retreats which had me name which animal I was most like.  I was usually at a loss as everyone else got into the activity, claiming their dog-ness, or cat-ness, or bear-ness.  Somehow, standing in our almost finished kitchen, the question made more sense this morning.
I have no difficulty claiming peregrine.  My beloved seems to be leaning toward crow.  Perhaps if we move to the Latin corvus brachyrhynchos it will sound less commonplace, more elite.


If you were an animal,
What animal would you like to be?
The question comes
In the middle of the
Almost complete kitchen.
We await the installation
Of the ceramic tile
Cosmic Mars backsplash.
The cat is sound asleep
On the boxes of tile.
Some kind of a hawk
I say.
Not a red-tail,
Says my beloved,
Not a merlin either.
They*re too small.
Perhaps a peregrine?
We settle on peregrine
For me.
For my beloved?
He loves crows.
They are social birds
Still
He says
No one sees crows as special.
You do
I say
Because you do,
I do.
Perhaps raven sounds better?
It does
He says,
But ravens are solitary birds.
Ah this may take awhile.
Still we have narrowed it
To a bird,
Definitely
A bird.

No comments:

Post a Comment