Wednesday, February 6, 2013

We don*t eat the guests

In my counseling internship at Heartland, a small town/rural agency, I remember one of my first staff discussions involved the pleasures of hunting doves.  Here is a shout-out to Michael, my professor and founder of Heartland and hunter of doves... I am glad to hear you are entertaining grouse as guests in Montana.


The squirrels have worn a path
In the snow
In the backyard.
The path loops toward the back gate.
The ducks waddle
Across the way.
I wait for the cardinals to show
In the hedge.
Far away in Montana
My professor entertains grouse
In his snowy yard.
He calls them guests.
Four years ago I remember
Extensive conversation
Around hunting doves,
The pleasures,
The flavor.
I am glad his yard
Entertains grouse  
As guests.
It is hunting season but still:
Guests are guests.
We don*t eat the guests.
We simply enjoy
Their presence.

No comments:

Post a Comment