Sunday, February 24, 2013

Hospitable (not)

At 8 in the morning I expect to see things the way I left them the night before.  Morning is not my most flexible time.  There are temptations at 8 in the morning, and the scripture Jesus quoted to Satan in the wilderness does not come readily to mind.  It is the Second Sunday in Lent.  I am getting ready to go to church.

I wake up early
To write.
There is an extra body
Asleep on the sofa
In the family room.
I walk down to get my laundry
From last night.
My laundry basket is filled
With my daughter*s clothes.
I am not at my most hospitable
At 8 in the morning,
Faced
With thwarted plans.
This house brings its own temptations
At 8 in the morning.
Scripture verses
Do not come readily
To mind.
At least this morning
There is cream
For my coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment