Thursday, April 9, 2015

Questions and answers

Sometimes I get trapped into thinking there is one right answer. 
Like the child listening to the children's homily preached by her pastor, being asked the question: What's brown and furry and has a long tail, and buries nuts for the winter? 
I know the answer is Jesus, says the child, but it sure sounds like a squirrel to me.
Do I have all I want? Do I have all I need?
Sometimes the answer comes the next day.
It's a squirrel.

Sometimes
We ask the right question
And then
Don’t wait
To hear
The answer.
Perhaps it is even
The right answer,
But we have moved on
To other interesting questions
Or figured
There wasn't an answer
Worth considering
To the first.
Sometimes someone else
Asks the question
And if we don’t have an answer
We make it up,
Get stuck in an endless loop
Of words
We wait for the next question
Perhaps we will have an answer,
A real answer,
To that one.

Yesterday I was asked if I had
All I wanted,
All I needed.
A good question.
I got stuck on the difference
Between wants and needs,
Got lost in the fog,
Spun the rest of the day.

This morning I woke up to rain,
Spring, greening, rain
Realized what I have
Is enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment