Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Sticks

One Christmas years ago I ordered an interesting arrangement of red-barked boughs for my mother. She referred to them as "the sticks I sent her." As I recall, they had red berries on them as well. My mother only saw the sticks. I think of my mother every time I place sticks in a vase, and wait for what might come: sticks with potential. I figure now she sees potential everywhere.

Every spring
I harvest sticks
With potential:
Forsythia
Pussy willow
Curly willow,
Sticks
With potential green,
Possible leaves.
I keep the sticks in vases
Filled with water,
Trim the bottoms
So the water
Will rise.

As the world greens outside,
My sticks green
Inside.
I need reminders
Everywhere I look.
All it takes
Is a bud
A shoot
A leaf, maybe two.

No comments:

Post a Comment