Thursday, March 29, 2012

Birthday

Today we drive to Minnesota to see son Erik (age 25).  We may not make it in time for dinner because, while it seemed a good idea to leave early, now it seems a better idea to leave late.  I am the birthday girl.  I decree it.  Of course it is entirely possible to do this on other days of the year.  Still... it is easier to decree things on one*s birthday.

It is my birthday.
I use my birthday power
To slow down the day.
Because we drive to Minnesota
Because I made the motel reservations
Because now I am 57
And it is my birthday,
I declare we will take the day
Slower,
Leave later,
Pay attention to the cheese curds
On our way through Wisconsin.
On the bridge over the St. Croix
 from Wisconsin
To Minnesota
We will lift our feet
So they won*t get wet.
We will do it again
When we cross the Mississippi.
It is my birthday.
I decree
We will slow down
The day.

No comments:

Post a Comment