Sunday, March 25, 2012

Hokey Pokey

Years ago now I wrote a paper in seminary about the priest as square dance caller.   Images often help me get hold of realities in new ways.  Today I might write a paper on priest as dancing the Hokey Pokey, not in any way to make light of it, but perhaps to get a new handle from this different perspective, standing on the edge of things.

Called to the edge
I tilt and tip on the rim of the world.
I am a novice
At this art.
One foot in
One foot out;
One hand in
One hand out;
I am part
Of the novitiate of an order
With no name.
My whole self in
My whole self out
I seek balance on the rim
Of the world.
I practice the steps
Over and over.
Sometimes my head is in
Sometimes my head is out
Sometimes my very heart
Is on the line.
Still I dance.

No comments:

Post a Comment