Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Holy Week, free and clear

It*s been four and a half years since I left parish ministry.  Without a doubt Holy Week has been the time I have missed being in the role the most, particularly the liturgy planning role.   This year it seems I have turned a corner.  This year it seems I can face into it and do it with my eyes open, even when the monstrance makes its yearly appearance on Maundy Thursday.    

At least my birthday is not on Good Friday
This year.
I can encounter all of Holy Week
Free and clear and newly 57.
Now I am back in priest skin.
I have mostly grown accustomed
To my part in the liturgy
From two pews back
On the right.
Sometime I even arrive late
Just before the Gospel.
This is Holy Week number four.
I know what to expect
In this place.
I may be able to pray it here
This year,
Not rail against the oddities,
Nor find the sticky places.
I may even be able to keep my eyes open
When the monstrance appears,
Take my turn
In the Garden of Repose.
There is a distinct possibility
I may encounter all of Holy Week
Free and clear
Two pews back
On the right.

No comments:

Post a Comment