Saturday, March 17, 2012

Contrast

Last year I wrote a lot about the forsythia.  It seemed I had never seen so much of it.  It was gorgeous.  Particularly the way it stood out against the gray spring sky.  Now, all of a sudden it is almost summer, warm and almost too bright to see.  Even when I wear my sunglasses, it feels overly bright.  I realize I miss the contrast of last year.  Not the cold, really, but the contrast.

I woke up this morning,
Realized I had not seen
The forsythia.
If the weather has turned so
Suddenly,
The forsythia
Must be blooming
Somewhere.
This morning I realized
With the sun so bright,
I missed seeing it.
This morning I see
It has bloomed already.
With the sun in my eyes
I couldn*t see it
Flower.
Last year it was a study
In contrast:
Gold against the gray,
Sprays of gold.
The forsythia punctuated
cold and rain
And gray.
Last year it stood out,
Bright yellow spots on the way to church.
This year
It went missing
In the sun.
Not enough contrast.
I wonder what else
I won*t see.

No comments:

Post a Comment