Thursday, April 26, 2012

Poem in Your Pocket Day

Of course everyone knows April is Poetry Month, and today is Poem in Your Pocket Day.  I*m sure this is tops on everyone*s list, even if their favorite poem is a bit of doggerel.  I haven*t used the word doggerel in years.  Certain words need to be aired from time to time or they will go out of use and be dropped even from the OED.  Words like doggerel.  There.  Three times in one paragraph.

Today is
Poem in Your Pocket Day.
The thought of carrying poetry
Instead of business cards
Appeals to me.
Still
I*m not sure it would build up
My clientele.
The choice of which poem to carry
Is tricky.
Poetry
Is not everyone*s
Cup of tea,
Earl Grey or herbal.
Some prefer hot water
With lemon.
For some
Poetry
Should be metric,
Rhyme
Exactly
At the end of every line.
Internal rhyme
Does not count.
I knew someone once
Who believed all poetry
Should have its lines numbered
To be comprehensible.
Like the Psalms.
Then of course
There is the question
Of which pocket
To use,
And what is the proper poetry container.
I suppose it depends
On the poem.
Or the effect
One Is going for:
Earl Grey or herbal,
Hot water with lemon.
Of course it all depends.

No comments:

Post a Comment