Monday, April 2, 2012

Redbud

I go into a different mode in Holy Week.  No matter whether I lead or attend or miss worship services.  There is no need to write a separate Lenten blog during Holy Week.  It is its own time and permeates everything.  I will probably publish this same paragraph there (or here, depending on where you are reading it).  We missed the donkey yesterday, the palms, the Passion.  It does not matter. Today is Monday in Holy Week, no matter where I am, no matter how many errands I run. No matter even if I go to church, or not.  It is still Holy Week.

We were gone three days.
The cat has forgiven us
This morning.
The potted daffodils
Are six inches taller
In miniature bloom,
The clematis fully anchored
On the porch column.
The redbud in front has blossomed
In full celebration
Of our return.

Unlike the cat,
There is no spite on the tree*s part.
The redbud full purple
Hails Jesus* entry
Into the week.
No spite.
It is simply, fully,
A tree in spring bloom.
It has even figured how to bud
On its trunk.
The redbud redefines
Full bloom.
It does nothing
Halfway.

No comments:

Post a Comment