Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Whole small worlds

Sometimes the various things I am doing or reading or listening to, all converge on each other.  I wonder how anyone can determine that a piece of information is not useful.  With all the discoveries in the world, I become more aware of all my knowledge being piecemeal, scattered, just like everyone elses.  Like this, for instance.  If there are different colonies of microbes living on different sides of the same tooth, holding that tooth together somehow... what of the rest?  

The colony of microbes,
Alive on one side
Of one of my teeth,
Is different
From the other side.
The environment
Is different,
One side
To the other.
We are host to several
Millions
Billions
Of whole small worlds.
It*s not just our teeth.

This is nothing like
The time I found out
The host of dust mites
Alive in my bedclothes
In need of my cast-off skin cells.
After all,
I don*t need those cells
Anymore.
There are whole small worlds alive
Bed to bed.
Colonies thrive on my teeth.
Everything lives together
On a microscopic level,
In teeny tiny co-operation
I cannot see,
Co-operation
I can barely imagine
Until perhaps there are border skirmishes
The dentist identifies.
Colonies maintain the balance
I cannot see.
Balance that has been there
From the beginning.
Whole small worlds
I can barely imagine.
Co-operation,
for the most part,
From the very beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment