Sunday, April 29, 2012

Stray understanding

My husband and I spent last night sitting with the parents of a daughter*s friend, helping to oversee a teenage birthday party.  We had never met them before.  They invited us to join them. Interesting people.  They were not what we expected.  But then, I suspect, we were not what they expected, either.

None of us fit
Into our respective categories.
I rather like that.
No matter who we meet,
He is different,
She is different
Than we originally thought.
We have to start somewhere
Of course
But
The thought changes from the original
With every different thing.
The thought is fuelled
By new possibilities.
The thought is almost ambushed
By stray understanding.
It hides around the corner,
Then jumps in front of us,
Adds action to the picture
We thought
Was a still.
I say
Thank God none of us fit
Into those single categories.
I rather like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment