Monday, May 21, 2012

Blue flag iris

I am used to working in older buildings.  After all, I have served as a priest in oh so many settings, buildings that are in their second or third or fourth incarnations.  It is probably fitting that a piece of what I do now is volunteer in a clinic which used to be an old motel.  I just noticed the iris in back on my way in this morning.  It continues to amaze me what flourishes even in fluorescent light.

We sit and talk
Under bare fluorescent light.
Still
I want to take each person
For a walk
In the sun,
Stroll by the blue flag iris
I noticed this morning,
It grows In the back lot
Of what used to be
The old motel,
Now
A clinic.

We sit and talk.
I am amazed at what grows
Under even fluorescent light.
This week
I hear friends
After much hurt and loss,
Growing back together
Slowly, slowly, slowly.
I watch the woman
Who got the ultimatum
Last week,
Grab on for dear life
And,
After breathing,
Hear her life
Held dear.

I want to take each person
For a walk down the garden path,
The one that ends on blacktop,
Stop at the blue flag iris
Behind the old motel
The one that is now
A clinic.

No comments:

Post a Comment