Friday, May 11, 2012

Understanding

Sometimes we all get stuck in our own particular understanding of things.  I know I do.  This is why it may take several different iterations on the part of the one who is hurt to reach a common understanding.  I know this is the way of it.  I still wish it were different.  And I still rejoice when common understanding is the result.

I remember the wrong done to me
from years ago
Like it was yesterday.
I thought what he had done
Was so obviously wrong,
I pitched rocks in the back yard.
He did not see (of course).

I called him.
He did not understand.

I wrote letters and emails.
He did not understand.

Finally I made an appointment.
I told him this was so important
It needed an hour, face to face.
I told him I would sit there,
Explain, perhaps weep,
Until he understood.
Finally
He got it.

Somehow I knew I had it in me
To do this.
Somehow
I knew he had it in him
To understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment