Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Clematis watching

I planted the original clematis vine a few years ago now.  It has gotten fuller and more covered with flowers every year.  Now its flowers last all summer and into the fall.  With such success I planted two new clematis in front two years ago.  One had one blossom last year, but 25 this year.  The other I thought had died.  It came back this year and has produced one lovely huge white blossom.  I*ll bet it*s irresistible to any pollinating insect.  With all of this life, I think I might learn to trust, even expect it.  It*s still a surprise every year how this life-thing works.

When a flower blooms early
I wonder
How the plant continues
To survive
In the cold
When insect life
Barely crawls
Much less flies.
When the sole blossom
On one clematis vine,
White and large and beautiful
With a tinge of pink
I forget its name
Stays open and ready
For days upon days,
The sole product of a vine
Which provided only leaves
Last year,
I wonder
How it can survive.
Of course
The vine on the pillar next to it
Has 25 blossoms
After only one bloom
Last year.
Clearly there is some process
I don*t understand.
The vine on the other side,
Soon enough to be covered
With purple,
Has taken over two porch columns
Several lengths of garden twine.
It has a given name but I call it
Purple Extravaganza.
I wind its tendrils around
Whatever I can find.
I wait for the assured enough flowers
Full purple
Soon enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment