Friday, May 25, 2012

Undeclared anchovies

Being the mother of a vegetarian, I read a lot of labels.  I remember when I discovered that good ole Lea and Perrins Worcestershire Sauce contained anchovies.  Whoa.  Today an organic farmer sent me a link to the current FDA recall list.  Imagine my surprise to discover a product recalled for undeclared anchovies.  Thank goodness they found them.

Today I perused the FDA recall list.
I found a product under strict recall:
Not for e. coli;
Not for listeria;
Not for salmonella;
Not even
For hidden peanuts or tree nuts.
No
This sauce was recalled
For undeclared anchovies.
Is there an anchovy test?
I remember when we found out
Our favorite sauce
Contained anchovies.
It meant that one of the few truly vegetarian dishes
I knew how to prepare
Was in trouble.
I thought for a brief time
To keep the anchovies
A secret,
But the secret came out
At Grandma*s table
In Florida.
No need for the FDA or secret tests,
It was right there on the bottle, fully disclosed.
On return home
I scoured the aisles
Of Whole Foods
For an alternative.
There will be no undeclared anchovies
Here.
None I tell you.
None.

No comments:

Post a Comment