Friday, July 20, 2012

Other than Sunday

I received a job posting a couple days ago for a counseling position on and around a military base.  Flexible hours (it said).  It sounded appealing then and it still does today.  It took me a day or two to realize this is a lot of what clergy folk do.  We use the walk-around/coaching approach.  It was even in quotation marks in the ad.  

Other than Sunday, what do you do?  I wonder how I would count hours on a military base.

Counseling services need to be delivered face-to-face using a "walk-around/coaching" approach
                                                                              Excerpt from a job posting received by email two days ago

I have done this for years.
I still do.
When people ask
What a priest does
They usually have a postscript.
It reads
Other than Sunday.
They know where you are
On Sunday,
Easy job if you can get it:
Lead a service
Preach a sermon
Hang out with the family
The rest of the week
Unless of course
someone dies
Or needs
to get married.
Other than Sunday
What could you possibly be doing
With all that time?
Now I am a real-life advertisement
For the walk-around/coaching approach
I do the exact same thing
On Sundays
Even on Sunday.
When people ask
This is what I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment