Sunday, July 29, 2012

Seismic shift

When I can wait long enough, I see the cracks where the grass grows.  Maybe the ground shifted awhile ago, and I simply didn*t notice.  Really I know the ground is always shifting, the grass is always growing, the earthworms always renewing the earth.  Sometimes I notice... and name what seems a seismic shift.  Really everything is always shifting.

Some days,
Not often,
But often enough,
There is a seismic shift
In the rock layers
Under my feet.
Some days,
Like today,
I notice new cracks
In the pavement.
They are green
With grass:
It has found the dirt
Underneath.
I think
I have not thought this way
Before.
There has been
A seismic shift.
The grass seems a sign
Of earthworms
Reworking the dirt
Under the grass
With their castings.
My eyes go down from there.
There are layers under layers
Upon layers.
But first the shift,
Then the crack
Before the grass
Can grow.
Then all the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment