Friday, December 9, 2011

Grounded

Here I was, getting so much accomplished.  Then I got grounded.  I wonder whether we are sometimes grounded so as to get a new perspective on things.  Not driving, being on foot for another winter, I have to go slower, pay closer attention to the things around me.  Sometimes I am quicker to catch on than others.  Sometimes I get the point.  Sometimes I even get the punch line.

It seems that when I have done much
To complicate my life,
Some thing
Some one
Comes along
Grabs my attention
Says
Stop.
Here.
Now.
Sit in these complications.
There is little choice
But to sit.

When I have done much,
When I simply can*t do another thing,
I am reminded again.
It seems
When I don*t listen
And then
Don*t listen again:
I am brought to ground
To sit,
Watch the world spin.
I notice again
The sun does not use me
As its center point.
It rises and sets as it always does.
The stars continue in their courses.
They even twinkle,
Offer star giggles,
Like they know the same punch line
I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment